The 2018 AIAL National Administrative Law Conference will be held
on Thursday 27 September 2018 at 10.00am to Friday 28 September 2018 at 3.00pm
at the University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia.
The AIAL National Administrative Law Conference is Australia’s pre-eminent administrative law conference, having been held each year since 1991. The 2018 Conference will be the 28th National Administrative Law Conference. The aim of the Conference is to provide those involved or interested in Australian administrative law with the opportunity to discuss contemporary issues, share practical experiences and consider future developments. The 2018 Conference will be hosted by the NSW Chapter of the Institute.
It is proposed that the overarching theme for the 2018 AIAL National Administrative Law Conference will be ‘Administrative Law in the 21st Century and Beyond’. This invites consideration of a range of current and future-focussed issues. We seek papers that explore both emerging issues and new ways of looking at ‘old problems’. We particularly note the following relevant subthemes:
- the impact of technology on administrative decision making and review;
- judicial review and challenges to major executive policy;
- international/global administrative law, including both the impact on domestic law and Australia’s place in the global administrative law order; terrorism and national security and administrative law;
- debates around a national integrity agency;
- Indigenous issues and administrative law, including broader governance issues; and
- the intersection of environment and planning law and administrative law, at both a state and federal level.
The Institute encourages contributions on these Conference subthemes but is also interested in finding space for those with fresh perspectives or ideas not reflected in the suggested range of topics above.
CALL FOR PAPERS
The Institute calls for potential papers on our theme to be presented at the Conference. The Conference will provide a stimulating mixture of practical sessions and more reflective and thought-provoking presentations. The Conference will include a review of the state of administrative law in the Commonwealth, States and Territories.
Please send written proposals for a paper by Friday 6 April 2018 by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
For enquiries about the program or to discuss a possible paper, please contact:
Andrew Chalk, Secretary, AIAL NSW Chapter (E: email@example.com; T: 02 9231 4544),
Natasha Shanthakumar, Committee Member, AIAL NSW Chapter (E: firstname.lastname@example.org; T: 0430 507 754), or
Sue Hart, AIAL Business Manager AIAL Secretariat (E: email@example.com; T: 02 6290 1505).