22 - 23 Jul
AIAL National Administrative Law Conference:
Administrative Law on the Edge
Thursday 22 and Friday 23 July 2021
RACV City Club, 501 Bourke Street, Melbourne, Victoria
The AIAL National Administrative Law Conference is Australia’s pre-eminent administrative law conference, having been conducted since 1991. Following cancellation of the Conference last year due to COVID-19, we are pleased to advise that it will be going ahead this year in Melbourne on 22 and 23 July, hosted by the Victorian Chapter of the AIAL.
The aim of the Conference is to provide those involved or interested in Australian administrative law with the opportunity to discuss contemporary issues, share practical experiences and consider future developments.
The 2021 National Conference theme: The overarching theme for the 2020 AIAL National Administrative Law Conference will be Administrative Law on the Edge.
The Conference will explore the many-faceted ‘edges’ of administrative law in the Commonwealth, States and Territories, including:
- intersecting areas of law and other areas of knowledge, for example, the law of interpretation and constitutional law
- the nature of any 'boundary lines' of administrative law
- the metes and bounds of jurisdictional error
- the capacity of civil and administrative tribunals to deliver administrative justice, having regard to the original intent of providing fast, low cost efficient reviews
- the scope to challenge the exercise of non-statutory executive power
- whether the performance of government functions that are ‘outsourced’ is outside administrative law bounds
- the scope to challenge automated ‘decision-making’.
The Conference will incorporate the 2021 AIAL National Administrative Law Lecture to be delivered by Professor Matthew Groves, Alfred Deakin Professor, Deakin University Law School.
Conference venue: The 2021 National Administrative Law Conference will commence at 1.00pm on Thursday 22 July 2021 and conclude at 3.45pm on Friday 23 July 2021.
Conference dinner: The 2021 National Administrative Law Conference Dinner will be held at the Hotel Windsor on Thursday 22 July 2021.
Conference registration will open shortly via the AIAL website.
For further information: Sue Hart, AIAL Business Manager AIAL Secretariat
E:email@example.com; T: 02 6290 1505